Rocky Corner is a vibrant cohousing neighborhood. We nourish respectful relationships among our members, as well as with the natural environment and the wider community.
Rocky Corner Cohousing is committed to creating a balance between independence and interdependence.
- The community consists of privately owned, self-sufficient homes and a common house, which includes facilities for shared meals and a variety of other community resources.
- Our neighborhood is pedestrian centered.
- We maintain a balance of private and community life with respect for individual and family needs for quiet, autonomy and privacy.
We are dedicated to fostering a friendly, open, vibrant, mutually supportive atmosphere.
- Our communications, relationships, actions and behavior are honest, direct, respectful, nonviolent and caring.
- We are committed to equal access to power in decision-making. Our primary way of attaining this goal is by using dynamic governance.
- We strive to create a neighborhood that is supportive and inspiring for individuals and families.
- Our community promotes the physical and emotional health, safety and security of our members and guests.
- We make space in our lives for play and artistic expression. We encourage continual learning, skill sharing and teaching.
- We seek out and are open to new ideas and to all interested people who share our vision and values and are able to share fully and fairly in community responsibilities.
Rocky Corner is multigenerational.
- We support people of all ages to enter, stay and participate in the community throughout their lives.
- We value children as members of the community and encourage their participation and leadership.
We actively sustain our community and maintain our property by sharing work and responsibilities.
- Our community is planned, designed and managed by the members with attention to aesthetics and in a manner that supports our vision.
- We work cooperatively for mutual benefit.
- We make ownership as affordable as possible.
We serve as an active member of the wider community.
- We engage our neighbors in the greater community by inviting participation in our play, in our art and in our work, and as formal advisors to our community’s self-governance.
- Rocky Corner members are involved in a broad variety of activities and organizations in the wider community.
We are devoted to preserving, protecting, nurturing and regenerating the natural environment.
- We are committed to learning about and adopting practices that minimize consumption of energy, water, and other natural resources.
- We strive to balance farming and community life with the preservation of wildlife habitats.
- We consider the Rocky Corner community, the wider human community and the health of the Earth when making decisions and choices.