Do you want to love where you live?
Do you want to live more sustainably?
Do you want to really know your neighbors as friends?
Do you want to live a rural life close to a vibrant city?
Rocky Corner Cohousing! Join us!
Rocky Corner is a new cohousing neighborhood of 30 homes to be built in Bethany, Connecticut.
We want to return to the spirit of neighborhoods past, where neighbors help neighbors.
We want to live sustainably—to use fewer resources and share more.
We have designed Rocky Corner as a cohousing community where residents will own their homes. Rocky Corner offers nine homes designated as affordable housing under state law. A few rental homes may be available. We will own a large common house and 33 acres of beautiful farmland. We will manage the land and neighborhood together.
We are building soon! Join us!
Rocky Corner will be the first cohousing community in Connecticut. We are the people who are planning to live there, so we have hired the best of the best to help us design and build. Our homes will be efficient, beautiful and low maintenance. Our residences will be clustered on a small portion in the center of the property, preserving the rest for recreation, farmland, and habitat. The plan is a terrific example of low impact design.
After working for a few years to find the right property, in 2012 we secured an option on 33 acres of farmland on Meyers Road. Bethany Planning and Zoning Commission approved our construction plan in June of 2014 with support from the Bethany Fire Marshal, the Regional Water Authority, and the Bethany Conservation Commission, as well as many wonderful townspeople. We closed on our dream property at the end of September 2014 with the help of the Greater New Haven Community Loan Fund. We received predevelopment funding from Equity Trust of Amherst MA which was excited to assist an Energy Star crafted, affordable cohousing neighborhood that preserves farmland. The Connecticut Department of Housing has committed to provide predevelopment funding for our neighborhood. In March of 2015 we will apply for subsidies to substantially lower the cost of our income-qualified affordable homes.
The thirty homes and common house at Rocky Corner will be brand new, Energy Star structures.
- Comfortable, tight, architect-designed, compact homes with south facing orientation, and low energy and maintenance costs
- One, two, and three-bedroom (maybe a couple of four-bedroom) cape style homes
- Customizable features and layout
- Aging in place—a bedroom and bath on every first floor
- Parking near your home
- Affordable housing subsidies available
Rocky Corner welcomes families of all kinds. We’re designing Rocky Corner to accommodate an organic farm, to be managed by interested community members. We make decisions efficiently and transparently using a model of governance called Dynamic Governance (aka Sociocracy) in accordance with our community values.
Some features of our neighborhood:
- Room to garden, play, hike, cross country ski, ride horses, walk dogs
- Multi-generational—babies to elders
- Walkable, pedestrian-centered with parking on a perimeter ring driveway
- Community gardens, edible landscaping in the courtyards, wildlife habitat
- Working farm to supply lots of our neighborhood’s food (but work on the farm isn’t required!)
- Accessible to older folks and people with disabilities
- Teaching and learning—we value and welcome all backgrounds, skills and interests
- Common house—a big, beautiful building for cooking and eating together, performances, dancing, wood working, crafts and art, meeting space, children’s play space, laundry, with quiet space for relaxing, playing games, listening to music, lounging next to the masonry heater.
- 15 minute drive to downtown New Haven; 10 minutes to an Amtrak station
- Located in a top school district (Bethany Community School and Amity Regional Junior and Senior High Schools)
We can’t wait to meet you! Join Us!
Rocky Corner is in the final planning stages right now, with construction scheduled to begin in the summer of 2015! We are choosing our homes right now. We invite interested people to explore membership.
You can be a part of this exciting effort by getting in touch with us today.
- Sign up for our mailing list (in the sidebar)
- Email questions to email@example.com
- Check our our Facebook page and our blog
- Attend an info session, a business meeting, or a social event
- Come meet us!!