From our vision statement:
We are committed to learning about and adopting practices that minimize consumption of energy, water, and other natural resources.
Our community is planned, designed and managed by the members with attention to aesthetics and in a manner that supports our vision.
For both ethical and practical reasons, we want to minimize our use of energy, water and other resources at Rocky Corner. Our homes are built to cost less to heat and cool and are located in the best possible place on the land to reduce energy use.
These are beautiful, Energy Star, compact homes designed with us by award-winning Centerbrook Architects and Planners
- We are using the latest technology to save money and resources, including:
- Passive solar design
- Insulated slab-on-grade construction
- Super-insulated walls and roofs
- Air-source heat pump for heating and cooling
- Option to add an efficient masonry heater to virtually eliminate the use of fossil fuels for heat (a cord of wood should be adequate to heat any of these homes for a year)
- South-facing, solar electric–ready roof
- All-LED lighting
- Bedroom and full bath on the first floor
- Grade-level front and back doors (no steps)
- Sprinklers for fire protection
- Fiber optic Internet service, 500 Mbps download and upload for every home (upgradable to 1 Gbps)
- Space for porches, a patio and a garden
- Nearby parking space
- Full use of the common house, community gardens and other shared features.
Here is a list of available homes and anticipated prices.
Here is a map showing locations, bedroom counts, and unit numbers.
And here is a list of available construction options and their prices for the different unit types (subject to change).
Prices of our homes
- the prices reflect only the actual cost to build; we are our own developers so no one is making a profit from the sales of the homes
- the cost of the homes includes co-ownership of the 4500 square foot common house and all 33 acres of farmland
- energy costs for each home-owner will be low due to the passive-solar design
- we have hired PAC Group to work directly with us and Centerbrook Architects as construction managers; this will keep our costs lower
- we will have options available that homeowners can choose that will decrease or increase the cost of your home depending on what you want
- the earlier you join us the more you have a voice in the specific design of your individual home
You may add options to the base designs such as:
- a bay window nook (available on most homes)
- wood burning masonry heater
- photo-voltaic solar panels
- upgraded finish choices and more.