LOCATION & ENVIRONMENT
- Are you attracted to living in a residence that will be surrounded by open fields, working farms, farm animals and opportunities for walking, cross country skiing and kite flying?
- Would you be OK with a very small private backyard, while having access to a larger portion of shared land?
- Are you interested in having the option to be involved in farming or community gardens?
- Are you comfortable living in a neighborhood with tightly clustered houses and walking from a peripheral parking area, in order to have a child and pedestrian friendly car-free area?
- Are you interested in living in a duplex or triplex without a basement, as a way to save cost and have less environmental impact?
- Would you like to see home-based businesses as part of the neighborhood?
- Would you like to have the ability to benefit from a common house with shared space for meals and other activities, and with the chance to store and use equipment with those of like interests?
- Do you like the idea of having your young children be able to walk safely to their friend’s house without adult supervision?
- Do you have a dog or cat and, if so, do you consider yourself to be a responsible pet owner?
- Do you feel comfortable with the idea of living in a small home that follows a common design with little opportunity for individualization in term of size or shape?
- Do you value a mixed neighborhood with plenty of families with young children, working couples, and elders?
- Our vision statement includes this sentence: Our community promotes the physical and emotional health, safety and security of our members and guests. Do you think it is necessary for people to disclose to the community health conditions and health-related decisions (such as immunizing or not against communicable diseases) that can adversely affect other people?
- Are you interested in helping to create a model cohousing community that people would travel to visit?
- If you experienced conflict with one of your neighbors, would you work constructively to resolve the issue?
- Is it important to you to be a part of a community of people who are committed to many of the same values including living sustainably with a small environmental impact?
- Would you like to be involved in establishing and maintaining the expectations for our neighborhood around such things as pets, clotheslines and parking?
- Are you energetic, interested in developing your skills for working in a group, and able to take initiative?
- Are you someone who is willing to work things through that affect your daily life with a group of people, many who have similar values but may not agree on everything?
- Are you willing to serve on one or two committees that will be in charge of various aspects of the community?
- Are you interested in sharing community dinners in the common house on a regular basis?
- Are you looking for a community rather than a dream home?